State/Local Action on Gun Violence

Amelia Parker

State/Local Action on Gun Violence

Post by Amelia Parker » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:17 pm

Dear Colleagues,
Following the unanimous adoption of the resolution recognizing gun violence as a public health issue and calling on our state to take action, I have added information about the pending bills to my website so that community members may share the information with their contacts throughout the state who live in the districts of the subcommittee members currently considering the bills.

http://ameliaparkerforcitycouncil.com/714-2/

I also received an email from Director LaKenya Middlebrook regarding the expenditure of city funds allocated towards violence intervention work. An update regarding those funds is included in my call to action as well as below.

In FY 21 and FY 22, the City of Knoxville budgeted $1 million of city funds each year towards violence intervention and prevention work. However, those funds have not been fully spent. Only $167,879.80 was spent of the money allocated last year. And as of March 1, 2022, only $83,782.45 has been expended of the $1 million budgeted this year. This amount does not include the $52,647.98 approved by Council at the February 22, 2022 meeting for Spring Break Opportunity Youth Micro grants and Street Outreach pilot program planning. Additionally, that amount does not include eight (8) microgrants totaling $23,070 to come before Council on March 8, 2022.