Proposed Amendments to Item 9b at January 24, 2023 Meeting

Andrew Roberto

Proposed Amendments to Item 9b at January 24, 2023 Meeting

Post by Andrew Roberto » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:33 pm

Councilmembers,

Please find below some minor amendments I will bring tonight on item 9b. I discussed these amendments with the Law Department, and none are substantive. As none of these proposed amendments are substantive, passage of these amendments will not require a return to first reading on this agenda item. I appreciate your time in reviewing these proposed amendments below:

Preliminary Language

Modify:

WHEREAS, the Animal Control Board has reviewed the standards for providing food, shelter, and the restraint of animals found the current standards to be insufficient not comprehensive enough to protect animals; and

to

WHEREAS, the Animal Control Board has reviewed the standards for providing food, shelter, and the restraint of animals and found the current standards to be insufficient and not comprehensive enough to protect animals; and

Section 1

Add:

Adequate ventilation means natural or mechanical air flow which minimizes odors and moisture and is sufficient to maintain the animal's normal body temperature.

Modify:

Properly fitted means, with respect to a collar or harness, a collar or harness that does not cause, or has have potential to cause, bodily injury to the animal, and does not allow for the animal to remove the collar or harness.

to

Properly fitted means, with respect to a collar or harness, a collar or harness that does not cause, or has potential to cause, bodily injury to the animal, and does not allow for the animal to remove the collar or harness.

Section 7

Modify:

The Knoxville City Code, Chapter 5, Article IV, § 5-23 concerning cruelty to animals is hereby amended by repealing deleting the section in its entirety.

to

The Knoxville City Code, Chapter 5, Article IV, § 5-23 concerning cruelty to animals is hereby

amended by deleting the section in its entirety.

Section 9

Move:

Subsections (g) and (h) to Subsection (c)(d) and (c)(e):

(g) Revocation of a state license.

(h) Failure to comply/cooperate with animal control or harassment of any animal control officer shall result in immediate permit revocation.

to

(c) Grounds for revoking permit:

a. Repeated non-compliance/citations

b. Failure to appear for a citation as specified in subsection 5-3(c).

c. Failure to pass an annual and/or random inspection

d. Revocation of a state license

e. Failure to comply/cooperate with animal control or harassment of any animal control officer shall result in immediate permit revocation

Rename:

1. Subsection (i)

to

Subsection (g)

2. Subsection (g)

to

Subsection (h)

3. Subsection (h)

to

Subsection (i)

4. Subsection (i)

to

Subsection (j)

Modify:

Current Subsection (h)/New Subsection (i)

If a pet retail establishment has a puppy or multiple puppies that test positive for parvovirus, canine coronavirus, distemper, internal or external parasites, Bordetella, Giardia and/or Campylobacter the permittee must post a public notice in plain sight on the premises warning consumers to the risk of disease transmission to other pets and/or humans for two (2) weeks following a positive test and must inform animal control within 24 hours of positive test.

to

If a pet retail establishment has a puppy or multiple puppies that test positive for parvovirus, canine coronavirus, distemper, internal or external parasites, Bordetella, Giardia and/or Campylobacter the permittee shall post a public notice in plain sight on the premises warning consumers to the risk of disease transmission to other pets and/or humans for two (2) weeks following a positive test and shall inform animal control within 24 hours of positive test.

Current Subsection (i)/New Subsection (j)

Pet retail establishments will not source puppies from any breeder that is not routinely inspected by the USDA or that has had a USDA NCI (violation) in the previous two (2) years; Pet retail establishments will not source animals from breeders outside the state of TN (animals are not to be transported across state lines for the purpose of selling).

to

Pet retail establishments shall not source puppies from any breeder that is not routinely inspected by the USDA or that has had a USDA NCI (violation) in the previous two (2) years; Pet retail establishments shall not source animals from breeders outside the state of TN (animals shall not be transported across state lines for the purpose of selling).

Section 11

Modify:

Subsection (c)(1)

The responsible and competent person is outside with the animal and within visual range of the animal.

to

The responsible and competent person is outside with the animal.